How to circulate a referendum petition
There are some simple yet strict rules which must always be followed or the entire petition could be invalidated and all its signatures thrown out. Please read carefully and understand these before collecting any signatures.
Simple Petition Rules
- Each petition must be circulated by one person, who must be registered to vote in Pittsburgh. -- Non-residents or underage can assist.
- The following must be filled in for each signer:
- Signature -- must be the full legal signature as signed on their voter registration (you may suggest as used on checks, legal documents, etc.). Printed signatures, initials and nicknames will be struck unless that is on their registration.
- Printed name -- must be the full printed name that's on their registration. NOTE: The order of the signature and printed name can be reversed.
- Address -- this should be their residential street address.
- Municipality -- "Pgh" is fine.
- Date Signed -- Current date of signing.
- Signers must enter all their own information, somebody else cannot do it for them.
- No ditto marks! All information must be filled in.
- Before turning in the petition, the circulator must sign the affidavit on its back in front of a notary -- After that, no more signatures can be added to it. Print a new petition if needed.